|Compatibility:||Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP *|
DescriptionWinID is controls & windows identification utility that is both powerful and compact. Its main purpose is to give an easy way to retrieve information about Microsoft Windows controls visually right off the screen. WinID resembles Spy++ from the Microsoft Visual Studio toolset but it also incorporates lots of its own handy features.
Who would be interested in using WinID? Definitely, a person who knows (or plans to learn) the architecture of the Microsoft Windows Operating System - Microsoft developer, programmer, debugger/tester, beginner, student. It will definitely be handy for debugging your C/C++/MFC/.NET and Visual Basic applications, as well as learning more about how your favorite programs and components of the Operating System itself are built.
- To use WinID all you have to have is a mouse, and all you have to do is to point it to a control to receive information about it.
- WinID is completely "transparent" for other running programs and for the Operating System.
- WinID retrieves a wealth of Windows NT compatible information about a control, including: control handle & title (text), device context handles, control ID, control status (enabled, visible, Unicode), module handle, Window Procedure (WndProc), menu handle, atom, icon handles, cursor handle, brush handle, extra window data, window class styles, window region, process ID, process priority, process creation and GDI & User module times, process memory and handle count stats, process privileges, main thread ID, main thread priority, main thread creation and GDI & User module times, base priority, image file path, module file path, app instance handle, shut-down parameters, shut-down flags, parent window handle & class, window & control styles, extended styles, additional control-specific info, and much more.
- Using Capture Shot technique WinID can remember control's state to be analyzed later. *
- WinID can also retrieve command line, environment strings, image file path for a program by simply pointing to it (through Capture Shot feature *).
- WinID can extract dynamic resources such as icons, bitmaps, image lists, enhanced metafiles, fonts, window properties from controls on the screen (through Capture Shot feature *).
- WinID can retrieve information about modules loaded for the program at a certain time (through Capture Shot feature *).
- Using Capture Shot you can copy and save the retrieved information.
- For visual identification WinID can highlight controls it works with.
- WinID can stay above all other windows on the screen.
- To register dynamic changes in a control WinID can Constantly Poll it.
- WinID does Automatically Recognize many control classes, although you may manually set a preferred class type by selecting it from the list.
- WinID can run with priority level above normal to have an upper hand over other apps.
- WinID may be used to test other programs regarding memory and resource leaks.
ManualTo learn more see the WinID Manual.
FAQCheck Frequently Asked Questions to find answers to yours
RequirementsFully compatible with Operating Systems listed in the compatibility section above.
Although capable of running under Windows Vista/7 some features may not be fully available.
It is also advisable to run WinID with administrative privileges under those OS's.
Click here to learn why.
FREE - WinID is free to use for individual and noncommercial application, also for the use in educational institutions and for learning purposes, provided no charge is imposed on such activities. This includes individual software developers using WinID for their own research, that does not involve commercial development. You are required to register each copy of this software for any other application.
You may use this software for as long as you need it, make as many copies of the downloaded package as required, and distribute it among any people and organizations at no cost.
You are NOT ALLOWED to modify or rename any parts of the downloaded package and/or the manual within it; distribute it under a different title and/or author's name; repackage or re-distribute separate components of the downloaded package; sell, rent or receive any financial gain from this software, as well as register it with unauthorized name obtained without making a purchase or a free license provided by www.dennisbabkin.com.
The authors of this web site and of this particular software guarantee that this computer program does not contain any intentionally deleterious or harmful material that may somehow adversely affect your system. All software posted on this web site is custom-built computer programs that were designed primarily for our personal use. We test it for some time before posting it here. In spite of that and due to the fact that we are human, we do not exclude a possibility for this software to contain errors and unintended glitches that may present misinformation in programmatic sense and/or may temporarily affect your computer's stability. If such is the case, let us know through the feedback on this site and we will do our best to correct the problem and supply you with the latest update.
And last, by downloading and using this software you agree to do so "as is" without any implied or expressed liability from the authors and/or distributors of this software.